Monday, November 14, 2011

Story Time

When I worked at Barnes and Noble regularly, I would usually do the Tuesday morning or Thursday night story times. It was simple. 2-3 age appropriate books and a coloring page. Followed by a massive cleanup of all the books the parents allowed them to take off the shelves and rip or stomp on.
Store Image
Since I started watching kids in my home story times have gotten a little more in depth. With all the iPads, video games and TV shows that are coming out for younger and younger children, encouraging a love for books and reading is becoming more and more challenging. The decision is to either give up or work harder. So, story time now includes books, of course, but also matching crafts, stuffed animals, games, and felt characters. 
 Plush Turkey Stuffed Conservation Critter By Wildlife Artists  
templates

When the Strouds asked me about doing a story time at their store, The Way Station of Truth and Life, I knew that I would have to do a little extra leg work to make it interesting.

Step one: Pick the stories  
The Story of Thanksgiving Thank You for Thanksgiving 
Step two: Create a decent looking felt board (I think mine is as old or older then me... and it looks its age)
Old:
  

New, but temporary. I can do better:

Step 3: Create characters

Step 4: Pick music
Action Bible Songs: 17 Classic Christian Songs for Kids

It went really well. There were 8 kids... of course one was Gwen and one was the Stroud's granddaughter so I don't know if I can count them :) 

They all got cute little goody bags too. Next time we might get brave and add a small craft or coloring page... We're thinking on it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of doing crafts and things to go with a book! Thankfully my kiddos still love story time...hopefully that lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jen...I think that was a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete