Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's a Book

Details
It's a book. That is the title of a hardcover picture book that I paid almost full price for and have absolutely no intention of reading to the children I watch. My child, however, loved it as much as I did... and so did my mother!
I was standing in the children's section of a soon-to-be closed Borders bookstore when I found this book. Most of the customer friendly things had been removed or sold, but there were plenty of vultures people milling around to take advantage of the 30% store wide savings. Gwen was nonchalantly perusing the shelves nearby while me and 3 other women where trying to pretend to stay out of each others ways without giving an inch in case we were all looking for the same book and there was only one copy left. I, of course, was not looking for any specific book, I was just being spiteful because they were in my way. Note to all readers: deep down inside, I have a mean sense of humor... but I'm usually good at hiding it.
So anyway, I see this spine titled It's a Book and I must pick it up and stand there reading it. Not only because I was intrigued, but also to annoy the women around me :). I read a page, I smile. I read a page, I smile. I read a page, I smile... and then I reach the last page. Into the almost silent bookstore I let out a good loud laugh. Not a giggle or a chuckle, a full laugh. Everyone stares at me (except Gwen who is used to my crazy ways), but I ignore them and laugh again. Yes. It was that funny!
Details
The author, Lane Smith came out with a similiar book in board book version, but the Barnes and Noble website is mad at me tonight and will not assist me in sharing the title. The point though, is that the board book is not funny! Don't bother to read it. After the hardcover book, the board book is sad and dissapointing, but it is a children's book appropriate for children, while the one I love so much uses the name 'Jackass' for the donkey and I am sure many parents will object... I don't. I read it to my daughter immediately.
I Love Books!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment