Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Bodies in Motion

As much as I LOVE to read and to see 'my' kids enjoying books I also recognize a child's nee to MOVE. Different ways of moving are important for physical, emotional and neurological development in young children and it is our jobs, as the adults in their lives, to make sure they have opportunities to experience a variety of movement. This is enormously easier during the spring/summer/fall, but just as important in winter.

One way I do this is with a ring/trapeze bar hanging from a tree

Other ways are with games like musical exercise and follow the leader. I have a gymnastics bar (Gwen's Christmas present a few years ago) in the mulched area next to my swing set which has swings, ladders, a slide and monkey bars. We have jump ropes, skip its, basketballs, soccer balls and a hula hoop.

From the scholastic website:

So make sure to keep those little bodies in motion!

No comments:

Post a Comment