Friday, July 4, 2014

Nurses = Outstanding

**I'm sorry. All my cool hospital pictures are in my computer... which is currently having some sort of mental breakdown. Hopefully I will be able to add them later.**

I have always had a lot of respect for nurses. My parents had many friends that were nurses when I was a child and I have had many great nurses as friends.

In our latest foray into the world of medicine with my daughters' mysterious chest pain I came to love and respect them even more.

Our emergency room nurses were wonderful. They were incredibly busy the night we came in, but the triage nurse had Gwen hooked up to an EKG within ten minutes of us walking in the door and showed it to the doctor right away. She had us in a room ten minutes after that. She was calm, efficient and compassionate. My hospital feedback for her- Excellent!

When we were in the ER room we had another nurse. He was in to hook her up to the machines in a very short amount of time and checked in on us often. He stoically endured her complete melt down when it was time for the IV and blood work and gave us updates about when the doctor managed to get in touch with the pediatric doctor and what was happening with transport. With as busy as they were and especially since their ENTIRE computer system crashed about 3 hours into our visit it would have been easy to close our curtain and forget about us, but he was very proficient and attentive. My hospital feedback for him- Phenomenal!

We were then transferred to a pediatric wing of another hospital where we had our first nurse for an hour until shift change and our second nurse for the rest of our visit. They were great with Gwen and extremely caring. If they came in while she was eating or sleeping they would come back later to do what they needed to do. They wanted her to be as comfortable as possible and took any concerns I had to the doctor immediately.

The second nurse also endured my anger/insanity at the incompetence of the pediatric doctor who discharged us, professionally and almost completely straight-faced. I wish I could tell their boss how outstanding they were. I think I should be getting a survey in the mail... maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment