Monday, October 17, 2011

J.R.R. Tolkien by Mark Horne



Christian Encounters, a series of biographies from Thomas Nelson Publishers, highlights important lives from all ages and areas of the Church. Some are familiar faces. Others are unexpected guests. But all, through their relationships, struggles, prayers, and desires, uniquely illuminate our shared experience.

In this short biography Mark Horne gives us an inside peek at the joys and struggles that made up the life of the man who brought the world The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings. Which, while definitely his most popular works, were just a portion of the literature penned by this man in his lifetime.

I am admittedly a fan of fantasy writing and thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, so when I saw this biography on booksneeze.com (for free in exchange for a review) I was excited to learn more about Tolkien. I was fascinated by the fact that his religion and love of languages began with his mother's instruction and continued at the encouragement of his guardian Father Francis Morgan for whom Tolkien had the utmost respect. It was a very informative book which gave me a large amount of facts about Tolkien's life, but the author failed to make me feel as though I could understand any of the thoughts or urges which led J.R.R. Tolkien to lead the life he did or write the books which made him famous.

2 comments:

  1. The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite movies! (Trilogies) This seems like a book I'd like to read. It must be a fairly new book cuz I checked with my local library and they don't have it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Lord of the Rings movies too, but never managed to make it through even the first of the 3 books :-( This book only just came out in August so it might be a little while before it shows up at the library. Have you heard that a new movie of The Hobbit should be coming out in the next year or two?!?!

    ReplyDelete