Friday, October 28, 2011

Heaven is for Real for Kids by Todd and Sonja Burpo

A little boys astounding story of his trip to heaven and back as told by Colton Burpo to his parents Todd and Sonja Burpo. Illustrated by Wilson Ong.
 
Colton Burpo came back from heaven with an important message to share. Jesus really loves children and heaven is an amazing place that we will really like. Using simple words to describe his experiences Colton takes us on a journey with him to an amazing and wonderful place. He touches on a lot of the things that are important to children from boo-boos to animals to family and many more things.

I liked this free ebook from booksneeze.com at about 3 stars, until I read it to children. I enjoyed the letter to the parents in the beginning and liked that they had questions (and answers to the questions) that children might ask at the end of the book. When I sat on the couch, though, with a 5 year old on one side and an 7 year old on the other and all of their attention was unwaveringly on this book I knew it was a great resource.

Even in black and white on my little NOOK screen they enjoyed the pictures. They both said that they liked ALL of it until I asked if there was anything they didn't like and then the 5 year old only said that he didn't like when Colton had to go back to the hospital.

Death is a scary unknown for adults, but even more so for children who can't always understand the explanations to the questions that they have. This book does not talk down to children as some books tend to do. It uses simple language in definite terms and backs it up with short passages from the bible.

I think this book is wonderful. I will be purchasing it in hardcover to add to my children's book collection.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book a few times at Barnes & Noble but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete