Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Distractions

One thing I have learned during our time homeschooling is that it is extremely easy to get off topic. Sometimes our off topic-ness is frustrating for me because I want us to stay on schedule,

BUT

we also seem to discover A LOT of cool things when we let our ADD get the best of us. For example, We have recently started a little unit on Vikings. In addition to the lessons in the curriculum we also deemed it necessary to watch the Veggie Tales Vikings movie and in the course of our lessons decided that we need to know how they bend the wood to make boats.

Thank goodness for utube because I didn't know how!

 I have to tell you, the guy that made the video she was watching was not the most exciting guy in the world. He held my attention for about 30 seconds. She was so interested in what he was saying and doing, though, that she didn't care that he was about as exciting as a rock (or maybe she did... she does like rocks).

All in all, even if she's not learning exactly what she's supposed to exactly when she's supposed be learning it I value the fact that she is learning all the time and that she's excited about discovering new things. I pray she never loses that.

Viking Books
The Usborne Time Traveler
Viking (Eye Wonder Series) by DK Publishing
Viking Ships at Sunrise (Magic Tree House #15) by Mary Pope Osborne
100 Things You Should Know About Vikings by Fiona MacDonald

1 comment:

  1. Great post and topic!! My 4 year old ventures off topic ALL the time. The most frustrating for me is when he is reading his sight words and he has to say something about every single word....and there's usually about 20 of them or so. All the while I'm thinking to myself..."There's no way you would make it in public school." lol Good thing we're their teacher's cause we are more vested in their education and future.

    ReplyDelete