Friday, October 21, 2011

I Don't Want to Read About This Anymore

If you read my post on distractions you know we've been learning about Vikings lately... Well, I think that ship has sailed (get it? LOL!). The other day she read one of the little captions that I sometimes skip that said favorite animals and sometimes slaves were killed to be buried with their masters and she got very upset. She wasn't happy about the page where the little cartoon people raided a village and killed or enslaved everyone either, but I guess this was the last straw for her. She pushed the book away and said "I don't like this. I don't want to read about this anymore." then she put her head down and wouldn't talk about it anymore.
The accused
Usborne Time Traveler

Wow. OK. Hmmm.... Now I'm in a bit of a perdicament.
The curriculum has us discussing vikings for a little while longer,
but if it's really upsetting her maybe we shouldn't keep going,
but just because she doesn't like something doesn't mean she can ignore it,
but vikings aren't the most important thing in the curriculum,
but world history is a little violent so we're probably going to run into this problem again.

So, what do I do here?? #1 Go to the library and see what other books might be 'softer' in terms of gruesome details.
#2 Remember that one of the great things about homeschooling is the flexibility of not having to learn anything before she's ready. No, 'shoving info down her throat' so to speak.
#3 Talk to someone who has done this with her kids already and see what ideas she might have for me. (If you're reading this, Thank you again!)

The suggestion is this <em>The Complete Book of World History</em> [<em>Book</em>]. It is out of print, but available in 'standard used condition'. Whatever that means. I may also try Story of the world again and see what they say about Vikings... maybe.

So. What is the best way to deal with this... I still have no idea. I guess it all goes back to the eternal question:
Why don't children come with instruction manuals???

No comments:

Post a Comment