Thursday, June 26, 2014

Past and Present

As Gwen and the kids I watch in the summer get older (happens every year, believe it or not!) I have had to go more and more out of my ‘little kid’ comfort zone for activity ideas.
Two years ago the summer Olympics was taking place in London, so we did an Olympics theme. We had an opening ceremony where we ran the torch around the yard. There was swimming, track, gymnastics, hula hooping, and jump roping competitions, along with many more. We each picked a country to represent and researched those countries and their competitors.

Last summer we did art and artists. We explored Van Gogh, Monet, Da Vinci and more. They made their own versions of famous paintings and tried different styles and mediums. I could only find a few pictures of them.




This summer I thought we would try building and architecture. It’s not really something I am good at(not that I am great at sports or art!), but as there are so many ways to build and things to build with we are going to run with it!




Our first building experiment was a success! I gave each child 40 foam cups, 25 band aids and a whole book of stickers.  
Cost was $3 per child.
Activity lasted 45 minutes.

Prep time was 1 minute and cleanup was about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment