Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Your New Discovery Toys Consultant

After years of considering the idea, I have decided to start selling discovery toys! I am super excited about it. The toys are amazing.

Years ago when I first started watching kids I was appalled that people wanted their children in preschool. I thought that 5 was young enough to have to start school and it was terrible to force little kids to begin a regimented education so early. I didn't know it then, but I was an advocate for 'unschooling' little ones. Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know what that is.

I can't say I have completely changed my mind, but my understanding of child development, early education and kindergarten expectations has made leaps and bounds. When Gwen was kindergarten age I started to understand what was expected of these kids on even the first day of school. At some point I realized that not all kids are getting the attention and time that it requires for them to learn what they need to know before that day in home settings.

I am now even more of a fan of learning through play. I want these kids to learn AND play at the same time. Simple things that can happen right in the livingroom, kitchen or backyard. Children find fun in discovering new things, so I help them discover. They get enjoyment out of creating something original some days and copying something difficult on others. They do not have to be in a classroom to learn. If given the right options and opportunities they can learn SO much.

That is why I love discovery toys. They are so much fun and (shh!) they're educational too!
Measure up cups for example are great for nesting and stacking and teach numbers, volume, addition, subtraction, multiplication, pre-time telling skills and have playdoh stamps on the bottom. I can use these with a 1 yr old and then turn around and use them to teach my 8 yr old.
The large pegboard is another multi-level toy. It has toddler safe pegs on one side for stacking, sorting, and early shape, letter, and math skills. Then you can turn it over to use it as a geoboard for elementary age students (kindergarten-4th/5th-ish)
Then there is Whiz Kidz. Good for preschoolers learning letter sounds and elementary/middle schoolers to increase vocabulary then all the way up to college students (I hear it's a good drinking game).

I look at this as another step in my education of education (LOL!) AND a great opportunity to share my passion of it! I even have my own website; http://www.discoverytoys.com/colleenmoore

No comments:

Post a Comment