Monday, March 18, 2013

Death By Audio

I want to share a dream of mine:

I have always wished for a book that will read itself to me when I am doing something I can't do while I'm reading. You know, dishes, diapers, driving, showering, etc... But the thought of a simple audio book never appealed to me. We have borrowed some kids ones from the library when we were going on trips and they were bearable

Not enjoyable though.

Audio books seem to have the same missing element that movies based on books have. I know it's going to sound odd when I say this, but the missing element is me.

I usually prefer the image of characters that I come up with better then the way Hollywood actors portray them. I give my own emphasis to what characters say and how they act. I love the way I picture the scenes playing out.
Gone Girl: A Novel | [Gillian Flynn]
I recently tried my first adult audio book from Audible.com, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and sadly, I have not even been able to finish it. I really think that it would be enjoyable to read, but listening to it is like listening to a movie without being able to see the pictures. The voices of the readers seem to squish the imagination. 

I am told that the new kindle has the ability to go back and forth from reading to listening IF you buy both the ebook and the audio book.

Raise your hands if you have so much money that you can buy all of your books twice.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Me either... Nor do I own the new Kindle.

What are your thoughts on audio vs. paper or ebook? 

No comments:

Post a Comment