Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Brutal and Bloody

Facebook pages are amazing. The spread of humor, encouragement and information on those things delights me! I am currently addicted to several. 
Book Haven,
Books Rock My World,
Coffee and a Good Book &
I Have More Books Than Friends
to name a few. I am always amazed that there are people that feel the same way I do about books. Things I go through that I thought made me incredibly strange, are commonplace to these people... You know... Like how I hyperventilate at the end of a book.
About a month ago one of those pages posted an invite for everyone to recommend their favorite books to each other. To quote from a movie that got me interested in Thomas More, "I could no sooner pick a favorite star in the heavens" then come up with ONE favorite, and there were already HUNDREDS of comments, so I said nothing. 

I did, however, read through quite a large chunk of the suggestions and found one for a Japanese book published in the 90's titled Battle Royale. I did some research and people are claiming that it is the 'original' Hunger Games, but more brutal and bloody. I ordered it immediately. 
After 50 pages I had to admit that while I don't like to suspect people of ripping off the ideas of others, Suzanne Collins should probably publicly explain why her idea so closely resembles a book published 10 years earlier. You know, just to squish the rumors and so I don't continue to feel disappointed in myself for not suspecting she got the idea from somewhere else in the first place.

After 120 pages the cat got mad at me. Apparently I kick her a lot when I am having terrifying dreams about children killing each other and blood splattering on my face.
Photo: Goodnight?
I am currently taking a break from reading to write this... Simply because I think I can't handle reading too much of this book at once. 
FYI:
This book is intense. The goodreads reviewer who recommends this book for "people who don't throw up a lot" and the one who recommends it for "the non-squeamish" were not exaggerating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment