Friday, January 11, 2013

Dependable Book Reviews

Some of you may know that I have always been more comfortable with my daughter reading books that I have read first and given my seal of approval.

*Don't look at me like that! There are a lot of parents that do this.


You may also be aware that this beautiful child of mine now reads at a 5th grade reading level and as quickly as I do. I love it, of course! Unfortunately, I do not have as much time to read as she does... You know, because little things get in the way. Like my job and house and teaching a homeschool curriculum. So I have been searching for a web site that I can trust for book reviews of the books I have not had a chance to pre-read. Thanks to suggestions from my friends on Cafemom I have found several great resources.


Common Sense Media
I have used this website for movie reviews in the past, but somehow didn't realize that there were book reviews as well! This site allows registered members to give the book a
  • Star Rating
  • Age Recommendation
  • Rating for topics such as Educational Value, Positive Messages, Positive Role Models, Violence, Sex, Language, and Drinking Drugs & Smoking.
Common Sense Media


Christian Book Websites
Christian book distributors usually only carry books that have been carefully reviewed. One is The Way Station


Another is ChristianBook.com which allows customers to review books and give the book a
  • Star Rating
  • Rating for Quality, Value, and Meets Expectations


Sparknotes
Remember these? The old fallback for when you didn't do your high school summer reading? Well, now they can help you find out the ins and outs of a book even if you don't have time to read the whole thing before your speed-reading child! (Or if, like with me and Gwen, you and your child have differing opinions on what you like to read) This website seems to have everything the books have, including, but not limited to
  •  Plot Overview
  • Character Analysis
  • Themes
  • Breakdown of Chapters
  • Explanation of Important Quotes
  • Key Facts


Thriving Family
This is my favorite site of the ones I have found. It doesn't feature as many books as I had hoped, but I love the quality and breakdown of the reviews. It supplies
  • Age range
  • Plot Summary
  • Christian and Other Beliefs
  • Profanity/Graphic Violence
  • Kissing/Sex
  • Discussion Topics
And more!


Books About Books!!
When in doubt, look in a book!!!
Honey for a Child's Heart Fourth Edition  -     
        By: Gladys Hunt
    
 Honey for a Teenager's Heart  -     
        By: Gladys Hunt, Barbara Hampton
Honey For A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt is out in it's 4th addition. It is a guide of wholesome books for ages 0-14. Honey For A Teen's Heart is in it's 1st addition and lists over 400 titles!

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle: 400 Classic Books for  Children  -     
        By: Nathaniel Bluedorn
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle by Nathaniel Bluedorn was revised and updated about 5 years ago. This book includes summaries, reading levels, and settings for 400 classic read-a-loud books.




Happy Reading/Reviewing!!!!

2 comments: