Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Reading Challenge

Hi there fellow homeschoolers, or mothers, or readers, or people occupying this lovely planet! I am a self titled bibliophile and I am happily passing this love of books on to my lovely 7 year old daughter. We have an entire room full of books and are running out of space on our bookshelves for any new/used ones we can get our hands on.

As a reader I tend to skim some of the parts I deem unnecessary and finish my books in hours or days instead of weeks like some people. Because of that I often miss a lot, therefore, I have been trying to think of ways to keep Gwen from getting into that habit.

My answer for this week came in in the form of The Secret Garden. The words and dialect of the characters are too complicated even for my little advanced reader (but the content is not too mature), so she is dependant on me to read it to her and cannot rush through it. I have read 2 chapters in one day to her, but that is my limit.

I am slowing her down and she is taking it relatively well. I think she will become better adapted to it in time as long as I continue to find interesting books with appropriate content and difficult vocabulary so she cannot pick it up and finish it while I am not looking like she has been doing with the Pony Pals and Magic Tree House books we were reading.

Wish me luck! Sometimes I think it is as hard for me as it is for her, even though I have read this book so many times that I have some of the parts memorized :-)

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment